After reading my story, I am sure many of you may wonder, “How do I become a lifestyle blogger?”
Nowadays, there are a bunch of new and cute lifestyle bloggers popping up everywhere. Trust me though, these bloggers didn’t just “pop” up overnight. There’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes that you don’t know about. You might think it’s super easy just to snap a few photos and post them online, or to film a video with a tripod and edit it on a Mac Book Pro. In reality, it takes a long time to build a loyal following. If you think you have what it takes, here are six steps on how to become the next lifestyle blogger!
1. KNOW YOUR BRAND AND STICK TO IT: Everyone has their thing, their brand, and what they think their style represents. Are you an organic vegan that lives and breathes that lifestyle? Are you a rocker chick that likes to do your makeup like you’re going to rock out at a concert? Are you a colorful hair girl and like to post funky photos? Whatever you think you represent, you should be you and show it. The more authentic you are to yourself, the better it is, and the better it will flow with your “brand.” You can also evolve brands as I have as I grew older, but consistency is key, and once you show that to your audience, they will fall in love with you! Whether you have a blog or a YouTube channel, being genuine and authentic will show in your content.
2. REMEMBER YOU ARE YOUR OWN BUSINESS: You represent yourself, and when you are starting off there will be brands that want to work with you. Be careful who you work with and don’t burn bridges. The blogger community is super small and you don’t want to have beef with anyone or be known as the blogger who had an attitude. Once you become a well-established brand, there will be people that can help you such as a manager. Until then you have to build your name, and you want a good name for yourself!
3. WORK ON YOUR CRAFT: It is absolutely okay that your photos are not perfect, or that your videos are not filmed with optimal lighting and in 4k. Improvement will come naturally with time and practice. If you want to start off with blogging or vlogging, iPhone photos are just fine. Once you get the hang of it you can move on to point and shoots and then DSLR’s! You don’t need a fancy camera and a lens to be a “blogger.”
4. FIND YOUR AUDIENCE AND CATER TO THEM: Your followers are those that are listening to you and wanting to see your content. The more you provide for them, the more they will come back to your content and trust you! You have to earn the trust of your friends and loved ones in real life and your blog or channel is no exception.
5. UPLOAD/UPDATE FREQUENTLY: Some people have a timely schedule when it comes to their blog/channel. Some bloggers upload monthly, weekly, or if you’re like me, you update daily! The Internet is a fast place, things get “old” fast, and people get tired of images quickly! It’s important to upload and update frequently so your followers keep coming back. That way you will have fresh new content for them to see and share!
6. LIKE, SHARE, PROMOTE: As a blogger, you are your own creative director, writer, editor, photographer, videographer, publicist, and manager, so promoting your own content is very important! If you don’t share it, no one is going to see it. Make sure you not only share and promote any content you make to all your social media platforms, but to show others in the community support as well! That’s how you grow as a blogger and create real and everlasting relationships online and off!